ATVFreeRiders
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders!

If you are new please register.

If you already are joined, please log in.

All new registered users will be entered in to win a Warn 1500LB Winch!
ATVFreeRiders
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders!

If you are new please register.

If you already are joined, please log in.

All new registered users will be entered in to win a Warn 1500LB Winch!
ATVFreeRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATVFreeRiders

A place to talk about ATV's and all Off-road Vehicles

HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders.com!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Regular Maintiance

Go down 
+3
bigbillg
Admin
Impact
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Impact

Impact

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Once a year a pull my KFX700 down and check it all over, I take the time to replace brakes and bearings that might be getting worn etc. Also i take it to the shop and have the carb and the valves checked and adjusted. I just picked the 700 up from it's yearly physical at the shop and the mechanic mentioned that my valves actually tightened up.

I can't say that i can remember that ever happening to any bike i have had so far. I guess it goes to show that it pays to have things properly maintained. He said if it would have continued i would have had a bent or broken valve by the end of this summer.

Whats everyone else do to their machines in the winter off season? Or summer off season for you snow mobile guys?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Just did complete oil change, drained all old gas and put new in, greased all bearings, bushings/bearings, and now only thing that is left is to check the valves
Back to top Go down
http://atvfreeriders.com
Impact

Impact

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:05 pm

I'll admit i am a bit lazy when it comes to valves. The 700 has 4 valves per slug and two slugs....... with all the other crap involved along with setting 8 valves i usually just take it to the shop. Now it's done though.............it's time to ride
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 6:15 am

ya i usually leave valves to the professionals
Back to top Go down
bigbillg

bigbillg

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 5:43 pm

the valve adjustments aren't as hard as you guys think they are but take it from me a clean air filter and regular oil changes are your best friends on the new quads dirt and water will kill your motor i grease the aarms shocks and axle and rear shock linkage front hubs about once every 3 months steering stem every 6 months clean and oil air filter after every ride change oil every 2 rides or races every 3rd time i change oil filter check and oil chain after every ride check rear brakes every other ride and a set of new tires after every 5 races
Back to top Go down
Impact

Impact

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 6:58 am

When i went to pick my 700 up from the dealership there was a Raptor 700 on the lift. While i was BS-ing with the mechanic about my machine i was looking it over. The top of the plastic was scrubbed clean but the frame looked dirty to me.

The mechanic noticed i was looking it over and said the guy brought it in because it seemed to loose power in the mid-range and the cooling fan was running constantly. He pointed to the rad..........it was packed solid with mud, the fan had even left a grove in the mud built up on the back of the rad.

Out of curiosity i pulled the seat off and looked at the air cleaner........once i dug the mud and grease out of the box so i could find it, it looked like it had never even been checked let alone cleaned. Honestly how can you spend $8000 on a machine and then take such poor care of it. He washed all the stuff that didn't mean squat and never cleaned the important parts.

I realize that not everyone is a mechanic but my friends 6 year old nephew knows to check the oil and air cleaner before he is allowed to take his 50 out.
Back to top Go down
outlaw_rider89

outlaw_rider89

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 4:03 pm

some ppl have money like that.. my neighbor gets a new quad about every 2 years.
Back to top Go down
outlaw_rider89

outlaw_rider89

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 4:06 pm

its also like cars.. alot of women & guys i know dont even check there oil in there stuff nor hardly change the oil in them..
Back to top Go down
thumper350

thumper350

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:45 pm

OIl and grease are two things that I can afford. If you use lots of oil and grease use less expensive parts!!
Back to top Go down
outlaw_rider89

outlaw_rider89

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 11:51 pm

well that all depends on the person i guess really each oil says it does diffrent things.. its the person that buys it who thinks one is better then the other.. u can go on and on about why this one is better then one.. but long as u keep on top of it, ur machine should be fine..
i chose to run amsoil and i change its about every 4 rides..
Back to top Go down
thumper350

thumper350

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 12:26 am

I've heard good things about Amsoil but I just use SAE30 or something simillar. It's cheap and my 24 year old bike doesn't mind cheapo oil.
Back to top Go down
outlaw_rider89

outlaw_rider89

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 8:36 am

i hear ya.. seems older machines dont care what u do to them.. i have a honda xr100r pit bike that a 92 and i ran it dry of oil lots of times.. and for a beater bike it still keeps going lol.. one of these days tho itll stop but i got my use out of it
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 3:46 pm

amsoil is one of the best oil brands you could run in your machine
Back to top Go down
Impact

Impact

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 6:46 am

I generally run Yamalube in mine, mainly because the only dealership in the area is a Yamaha dealer. At the moment i have Repsol in it, just because my buddy bought a case.
Back to top Go down
bigbillg

bigbillg

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 8:40 pm

me too i run yamalube semi syn
Back to top Go down
outlaw_rider89

outlaw_rider89

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 9:32 pm

guess if a yamaha dealer is ur closest place then i understand u on why ur not to worried about tryin to get ur hands on any certain brand..
Back to top Go down
G4mbl3

G4mbl3

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 10:28 pm

polaris synthetic, amsoil, royal purple, and a few other are top brands
Back to top Go down
outlaw_rider89

outlaw_rider89

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 10:35 pm

all atv brand dealers say there oil is better then the next lol.. guess everyone has to try and make money some how..lol
Back to top Go down
Impact

Impact

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 7:31 am

Honestly i have used all kinds over the years. I don't really think the brand is anywhere near as important as just keeping your oil and filter changed regularly.

I have noticed that some machines seem to prefer certain oil though. My Kawie has been fed a few different brands over the years and it seems to prefer the Yamalube. I used Motorex in it a few times and it seemed to lose it somehow. I used the same weight and everything but i had to add oil to it.

The same with spark plugs, I had an old Honda 300 4x4 and it would kill NGK plugs. I would have to change them at least 4 or 5 times a summer. I ran out of plugs and couldn't get to a bike shop to pick any up so i bought a Champion lawn and garden plug from the local hardware store. That stupid $2 plug was in it for years. It's crazy how that kinda stuff works sometime.
Back to top Go down
thumper350

thumper350

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:29 pm

I just looked and couldn't see any in my window! Neutral oops! I guess I better change my oil today.
Back to top Go down
G4mbl3

G4mbl3

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:30 pm

lol thats no good
Back to top Go down
thumper350

thumper350

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Yeah, but It's a tough ol' bike. I dig your quote. That's the best! It reminds me of Martin Sheen in Appocalypse Now talkng about the war... "Shit, charging someone with murder here is like handin' out speeding tickets at the Indy 500".
Back to top Go down
grut

grut

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 1:53 pm

hahah thumper.

People can use what they want for oil but make sure you check it and change it regularly!
Back to top Go down
outlaw_rider89

outlaw_rider89

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:01 pm

[quote="thumper350"]I just looked and couldn't see any in my window! :| oops! I guess I better change my oil today.[/quote]

haha if you even have any in it.. why ur at it be smart and change the filter
Back to top Go down
thumper350

thumper350

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:01 pm

I've got a new filter here but I just gave Her a big ol' glug, glug, gulg of fresh oil and fired Her up! She runs like a raped ape! Maybe I'll do the oil and filter...tomorrow..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Regular Maintiance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regular Maintiance   Regular Maintiance Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Regular Maintiance
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ATVFreeRiders :: Repair Garage-
Jump to: