ATVFreeRiders
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders!

If you are new please register.

If you already are joined, please log in.

All new registered users will be entered in to win a Warn 1500LB Winch!

ATVFreeRiders

A place to talk about ATV's and all Off-road Vehicles

HomeHomeRegisterLog in
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders.com!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Share | 

Swamped Engines!!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hambone

PostSubject: Swamped Engines!!!   Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Every once in a while, we all end up with a motor full of water. There are many ideas on the best way to rid your engine of all the moisture that comes from using your ATV as if it were a submarine.

First off by all means stand it on it nose or tail or upside down or whatever position is neccesary to dump the gallons of water out of the motor. No brainer there!!

Next drain the oil and replace the oil a few dozen times!! WRONG!!! If you are going to go this route you will have to change the oil a few dozen times. Do not dump diesel fuel or kerosene in the engine. Diesel fuel is notoriouse for having volatile chemicals in it that can desroy Nickesell cylinder lining materials. Oil is the only thing that should go in the crankcase.

I have found that the best way to comepletely rid the engine from moisture is to change the oil and run the motor untill hot then pull the drain plug and the oil filler tube and also remove the spin on oil filter or cartridge filter and cover and then leave the machine sit for a day or two in a warm garage. If you do not have a warm garage you can put a 100 watt lightbulb under the engine and then walk away for a couple of days. The moisture will evaporate out of the engine on its own. This works, when you come back in a few days and refill the crankcase with fresh oil you will have no more problems with the oil turning white.

There is always and exception to every rule so if you do not get good results with this method then let me know. I know it works greaat on Yamaha thumpers and Honda,s one lungers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pmatv.org
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Swamped Engines!!!   Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Great write up, ill try to sticky this
Back to top Go down
http://atvfreeriders.com
neparhino

PostSubject: Re: Swamped Engines!!!   Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:42 am

I have got away with changing the oil only once. But I use a combo of one qt of cheap motor oil, one qt. of Marvels Mystery oil and a squirt of wd-40. This will get 99.99 percent of the water out of the engine. The other .oo1 % will evaporate with a 10 minute idle. But if you have the time and the garage, Hambones idea is just as efficient. My method is more or less to get u out of the woods in a pinch.( and, yes, I have all of that stuff with me when I ride... dont ask)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swamped Engines!!!   

Back to top Go down

Swamped Engines!!!
Page 1 of 1