ATVFreeRiders
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders!

If you are new please register.

If you already are joined, please log in.

All new registered users will be entered in to win a Warn 1500LB Winch!

ATVFreeRiders

A place to talk about ATV's and all Off-road Vehicles

HomeHomeRegisterLog in
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders.com!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Share | 

my vehicles

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
G4mbl3

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:27 am

just another form of controlling us. currently, there is almost nothing stopping people - anyone, to be exact, from getting on a database and shutting down a said vehicle, whether it be for failure to stop said vehicle, or for any little thing they think of. The joys of onstar. call me paranoid, but I will never buy anything with it, or anything like it.
Back to top Go down
grut

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:43 pm

I hear ya Nick. Kiinda like Toyotas CPU controlled gas pedals--brillant idea!! What happened to the old cable or rod with a return spring?
Back to top Go down
joeharley

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:24 pm

grut wrote:
I hear ya Nick. Kiinda like Toyotas CPU controlled gas pedals--brillant idea!! What happened to the old cable or rod with a return spring?

If you think Toyota is the only one doing that you have allot to learn. It is called drive by wire. It has been used in various cars and trucks since the early 90's. Just because you see a throttle cable on the throttle body does not mean it goes to the peddle. It just goes to servo motor on a drive by wire car. Almost all automatics are shifted using electric servo's now , and don't have a mechanical connection from the gear selector and tranny. Some of them even have drive by wire steering.

JOE
Back to top Go down
grut

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:28 pm

wow joe,
my 03 nissan's 4x4's are the newest vehicles I have worked on thank god, still have cable connected from peddle to the throttle body you can grab under the hood when working on them. I still have timing adjustment, mechanical lever for 4wd, tapered roller bearings on the front axles which are serviceable not just replaceable. Glad I don't plan on buying anything new for a while..or never.
Back to top Go down
joeharley

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:52 pm

If I remember rite, BMW had the first ones back in 88 or 89 on there 7 series. The early ones just had short throttle cables going to a electric servo motor. So most people didn't even no it by looking at them. GM used to hide it down on the back side under the air box and ignition. Now the manufacturers are making full blown electric throttle body's. No cables at all. Remember the Chevy truck they made for awhile that was 4 wheel steer. How do you think they made the rear turn, electric drive by wire. You really didn't think there was a drag link running all the way to the back did you.

This stuff with the Prius is just letting the cat out of the bag,so to say. Most people have no clue as to how long the car company's have been doing this.

Just think about it for a minute. How many vehicles are made that have some sort of push button ( electronic ) traction control. I am not talking about 4 wheel drives now. If there was a throttle cable on them,how would the computer back the throttle of to keep it from spinning the tires. scratch

JOE
Back to top Go down
grut

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 am

gmc denali wasn't that the one with 4w steering. No I didn't think they used a draglink from the front not that simple minded.
The computer controlled throttle is was it spooky to most.
I thought traction control was to distribute wheel torque to a wheel that wasn't moving at the same speed to eliminate one wheel excessively spinning. I know you can floor an all wheel drive and rally car slide it around a turn and the throttle doesn't adjust while you are doing it, just the traction control gets the power to wheels, or al least tries to in the best way. Well at least it was that way in a couple years ago.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:08 am

Traction control distributes brake power and i believe acceleration to each wheel
Back to top Go down
http://atvfreeriders.com
joeharley

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:54 am

First of all ,not all vehicles have it.
Most all wheel drive cars have what is called stability control, witch is a different system for a different purpose. Most rally cars are all wheel drive not 4 wheel drive. There is a difference. In a true 4 wheel drive the front and rear differentials are connected by a transfer case that does not allow any difference in speed between the 2. This is what almost all the trucks have. That is why it is not good to have them in 4x4 on dry roads. In a all wheel drive ,the transfer case acts more like a 3rd differential and allows for the front and rear to turn at different speeds.

The ABS system is the traction control system on the older non drive by wire cars.

And what about these cars that will park themselves. Think about everything that the computer is in control of to do that.

Joe
Back to top Go down
grut

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:50 pm

well enough said,
these new cars just suck for some people with all the crap they add to help the lethargic and unfocused people!!!
Back to top Go down
Impact

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Screw it...............i'm building my next truck myself
Back to top Go down
grut

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:13 pm

Ya I've been seriously thinking about that. I had the plans all laid out about 6 years ago to do a '73 blazer--no emissions, fiberglass body, dana 60 front, corp14 rear, and a FI 383. best part is, it still would be less than a anything newer, plus side is parts are cheap and I can fix it.
Back to top Go down
joeharley

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:42 pm

Put a 3 inch body lift on it, then you can fit a 12 valve cummins in it. That way you have no computer,all the power you will ever need, and still get 20 miles to gallon. cheers

JOE
Back to top Go down
grut

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:17 am

I really am in the market now for a 4 door 8' flat bed truck with preferrably a diesel, you know a family man truck.

Now that would be a sweet setup, haul everybody with all the quads and camping gear and still transport my tractor around easily..

Which cummins is that size wise and year wise? I just started checking into diesels a couple of months ago,
someone probably sells the engine mount kits too for that.
Back to top Go down
joeharley

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:15 am

There are multiple years for the turbo charged 12 valve. I don't know all of them for sure but from early 90's to early 2000's they were available. Do not confuse the 12 valve with the 24 valve. The 12 valve is mechanical injection and does not need a computer to run. They are a Little lower on power numbers when stock, but for less then $1000 in upgrades they will run right beside the 24 valve and get better fuel mileage. All the 12 and 24 valves were the 5.9 liter.

For the mounts, I would think they could be found if you look hard enough. Someone out there is making. Or just make a set. The reason for the body lift is because the engine is to tall for the stock Chevy engine bay. So making the mounts would be better, then you can squeeze it in rite were you want it.

JOE
Back to top Go down
Impact

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:34 am

The Cummins motor comes in two 12 valve varieties as well. If you are going to find one from Dodge truck and transplant it. The earliest 12 valve was non-intercooled. They were made from 1988 to 1990 approx. The intercooled version was made until they changed to the 24 valve.

There are also company's that make a stand alone computer for the first generation 24 valve. It is still a pretty simple version. All the computer does it time the injection pump

Honestly in my travels looking for a Cummins motor the best place to go is the school bus and equipment auction. You can buy a used school bus for as little as $500 with a Cummins. To buy just the motor i haven't found one yet for less that $1000.

Joe, you can squeeze a Cummins in a 2wd Chevy without any body or suspension lift. Its sitting one over a front axle that makes things tricky. In that case most people recommend a three inch suspension lift to get the axle under the huge Cummins oil pan. While i have seen it done without a body lift, you have to modify the tranny tunnel...... it's just easier to lift the body a few inches. And all of it depends on what year Chevy you want to cram it into. the old (up to 86 or so) chevy truck has plenty of room. The newer ones, not so much.
Back to top Go down
grut

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:08 am

Cool. Thanks for the info guys.
May get in trouble with wife but it still may be one nice project to take on..Ya I plan on at least a 4" suspension max 6" and at max a 2" body but 3" if needed on an 73-86 body style. I like the straight axles.
Back to top Go down
joeharley

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:24 am

IMPACT,
The problem my buddy had when he did his 4 door dually,4x4 Chevy swap. Is we had to set the engine back far enough to allow room for the inter cooler, radiator,and ac condenser. The dog house/ bell housing area on the Chevy was not tall enough. so we put a 3inch body lift on it.

JOE
Back to top Go down
Impact

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Ya, that's the same problem they had with the 2wd Chevy. But a lift on a 2x4 would look kinda strange so he tubbed out the tranny well to make it work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my vehicles   

Back to top Go down

my vehicles
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3