ATVFreeRiders
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders!

If you are new please register.

If you already are joined, please log in.

All new registered users will be entered in to win a Warn 1500LB Winch!
ATVFreeRiders
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders!

If you are new please register.

If you already are joined, please log in.

All new registered users will be entered in to win a Warn 1500LB Winch!
ATVFreeRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATVFreeRiders

A place to talk about ATV's and all Off-road Vehicles

HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders.com!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Anybody Hunt?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
grut

grut

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:09 am

Just checking to see if anybody hunts and how did you do.
I hunt myself but the deer population is really getting hit with the 2week doe season included with the buck. Everyone I seem to talk to says every year they see less and less deer. The antler restriction is allowing archery hunters to get nice bucks and allowing the smaller bucks to breed. I have goofy looking spikes,3 and 4 pointers around which I didn't see to much before.
I am thinking about getting back into archery hoping to get a buck early, just hard to find the time because usually working around the house or riding.

Anybody seeing similar in your hunting area?
Back to top Go down
Impact

Impact

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 9:20 am

It's the same around here. I haven't seen a buck worth shooting the last two years, and bear season hasn't treated me any better lately.

I have been getting into coyote hunting and i love taking out the 223 and plugging groundhogs in the spring and summer.

As for big game..........not much luck
Back to top Go down
JSTi07
JSTi07

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 9:28 am

I don't hunt, but when riding in the woods around my house I have seen a surprising amount of doe's and a few bucks. I have also seen a lot of coyote tracks and the left overs of their kills.

My neighbor hunts and he did alright this year. He makes some great sausage Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 9:59 am

Only have been able to get does these last few years, beside last year which I took a spike down from around 100 yards, couldnt see any horns when I shot it, assumed it was a doe. Got to the deer and it had about a 4 inch spike on the one side, and on the other side, the spike was cut down to about 2 inches Sad
Back to top Go down
http://atvfreeriders.com
grut

grut

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:02 am

Are you seeing alot of does where you hunt Dave?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:06 am

Well, I usually hunt in Mckean, on greenly road. Anyways, this year I really didn't see much, mostly do to the visibility with it keep raining on and off, but it got better as some snow fell. Last year and the year before I saw many, many doe. I also got a shot at a nice 7 point, but failed miserably, it was a long shot though
Back to top Go down
grut

grut

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:08 am

you could actually count the points on it? How far was the shot?
Ya I heard that south hill road area has a decent amount, but that was about 5 years ago. So who knows now.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:12 am

What happen was I was taking a little nap, and woke up to it crunching in the snow. It gave me a little startle, which scared it, I got the count of 4 on one side and manage to count 3 on the other as I was lining up my shot. Missed it though, was shooting at its behind on the run
Back to top Go down
grut

grut

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 am

oh they can be sneaky!
what did you do with your other mistake kill spike?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:18 am

It was just a long shot on a snowy day. Didnt see the spikes at all, believed it was a doe. Shot it from 100 yards, it ran about 10 yards and dropped into a creek. Got to it (the spikes were in the ground) and noticed it had some gonads, check the head and notices a little 2 inch spike and a 4 inch on the other side
Back to top Go down
grut

grut

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 am

that's some bad luck
heard some bad stories about then they first put the antler restriction into place and informed everyone they wanted to know if there was any mistake kills. When the honest people went to the police barracks they also left with no deer, advise on identifying their target better, and a nice fine.

Last edited by grut on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
grut

grut

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 11:49 am

Impact, it sure is fun poppin' woodchucks. I only got 2 coyotes, they made a mistake and hung out in the back yard long enough for me to lock and load one morning.
Back to top Go down
Impact

Impact

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:39 pm

We have a sweet little spot at the top of a hill overlooking a hay field for taking out groundhogs. We pick the little buggers off for the farmer who owns it.

We can sit up there all day, it's like whack-a-mole.

I use a Rossi single shot 223 with a 6x24x50mm scope. I have shot a few at over 150 yrds. my friend used my gun once to hit one at 224 yrds, according to his rangefinder.
Back to top Go down
grut

grut

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:05 pm

sweet I mostly wack them with a .22mag. I get em on my prop and the neighbor's.
Good shooting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anybody Hunt? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody Hunt?   Anybody Hunt? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody Hunt?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ATVFreeRiders :: Off Topic-
Jump to: