ATVFreeRiders
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders!

If you are new please register.

If you already are joined, please log in.

All new registered users will be entered in to win a Warn 1500LB Winch!
ATVFreeRiders
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders!

If you are new please register.

If you already are joined, please log in.

All new registered users will be entered in to win a Warn 1500LB Winch!
ATVFreeRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATVFreeRiders

A place to talk about ATV's and all Off-road Vehicles

HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to ATVFreeRiders.com!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

cleaning plastics

Go down 
+4
joeharley
Impact
grut
Admin
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 10:56 am

what do you guys use to clean your plastic?

WD 40 works wonders
Back to top Go down
http://atvfreeriders.com
grut

grut

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 11:33 am

pressure washer and simple green everything
turtle wax spray or armor all on plastics and wd-40 on engine.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 4:14 pm

whats the best way to get the grimy brown off old headers? I found gas takes it off somewhat
Back to top Go down
Impact

Impact

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 6:35 pm

I like simple green, but the generic version mean green is $1.00 at the dollar store. It works just as good and you can buy a case of it for 12 bucks.

I then spray WD40 all over the frame, motor, belt cover, heel guards, etc.

I usually use brake cleaner to remove the really crappy burnt-on stuff like on head pipes and other places.
Back to top Go down
grut

grut

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 6:47 pm

I use mothers wheel polish on the pipes and headers
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 pm

does break cleaner work good?
Back to top Go down
joeharley

joeharley

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Pressure washer and SPS100
Back to top Go down
grut

grut

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 5:51 am

SPS100--what is that stuff?
Back to top Go down
joeharley

joeharley

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:13 am

Sorry it used to be called sps-100. It looks like it is just S100 now. It is engine cleaner for motorcycles. Real strong, but wont discolor or streak aluminum and black engine cases. Works great on plastics.

Also PAM nonstick cooking spray will work 10 times better than wd-40. just spray the whole thing down after a good wash. nothing will stick to it and it doesn't smell.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 am

Yah, wd 40 usually smells and will smoke for awhile when applied to the engine
Back to top Go down
counntryboy 78

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 3:01 pm

I like using simple green.I have tried muck off,purple power,and others nothing seems to clean up the bike like simple green.I use wd 40 for the motor and under the fenders.i put floor wax on the fenders.The floor wax shines up the bike and hides the scratches.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:27 pm

Floor wax? Need to try that out
Back to top Go down
G4mbl3

G4mbl3

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 6:40 am

I have been doing tire shine on the plastics, shines and hides scratches. Also when I had a grimy old 300ex, I used the orange Engine Degreaser, and it needs even the lightest scrub and the engine looks brand new again from the brown gunk and buildup. Also try glass cleaner. Never tried it on a quad, but a little tip for car shows is when you get on the field, spray your rims down with it. Brightest shine you'll see =]
Back to top Go down
counntryboy 78

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:45 pm

A bottle of floor wax from wallmart will last me a year.I think the one i use is called floor shine.But it dont matter what kind you use as long as its a liquid.JUst shake it up and put on a rag.I use a circle motion but you can just wipe it down your plastic.
Back to top Go down
grut

grut

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 6:04 pm

joeharley where can I get some of teh S100 engine cleaner?
wow floor wax, may have to try it out, i have used PAM, which sprayed on before the muddy ride aids with clean up and doesn't allow much to stick to the inner fenders. Will have to try after a clean job this summer.
Back to top Go down
joeharley

joeharley

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 pm

grut wrote:
joeharley where can I get some of teh S100 engine cleaner?

I get mine at street track n trail. but any motorcycle shop should be able to get it.

The Pam works best if you can let a coat set in to say. spray it on real good the just ride around in the sun and keep it clean. Or spray it on and let it set in the sun or your garage so it can dry. I try to get 3-4 good coats on in the spring. Then you don't even need soap to clean it when it get dirty/muddy. Just like with wax thou, if you do use some kind of soap or cleaner it will strip it of. then you will have to put it on again.

Last edited by joeharley on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
grut

grut

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:30 pm

cool thanks for the info joeharley I'll give it a try
Back to top Go down
outlaw_rider89

outlaw_rider89

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:31 pm

counntryboy 78 wrote:
A bottle of floor wax from wallmart will last me a year.I think the one i use is called floor shine.But it dont matter what kind you use as long as its a liquid.JUst shake it up and put on a rag.I use a circle motion but you can just wipe it down your plastic.

floor wax dont turn your plastic funny looking?
Back to top Go down
outlaw_rider89

outlaw_rider89

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 pm

G4mbl3 wrote:
I have been doing tire shine on the plastics, shines and hides scratches. Also when I had a grimy old 300ex, I used the orange Engine Degreaser, and it needs even the lightest scrub and the engine looks brand new again from the brown gunk and buildup. Also try glass cleaner. Never tried it on a quad, but a little tip for car shows is when you get on the field, spray your rims down with it. Brightest shine you'll see =]

never tired it on plastic i use it on my rims tho and tires lol
im going to look into the floor wax tho.. cuz that stuff should last a long time on the bike
Back to top Go down
counntryboy 78

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 12:09 pm

I have put floor wax on both my bikes. A banshee with blue plastic and a 400ex with gray plastic.I have never had a problems with my plastic looking funny.If you go to a car wash you can use the hot wax they have there.Just dont get it on your seat.
Back to top Go down
Impact

Impact

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 7:02 am

I don't use WD40 so much to keep the mud from sticking, i mainly use it after i wash to prevent water from hiding in my wiring and frame.

I'm not sure if you guys know or not but the WD in WD40 stands for water displacement.

Cooking spray is much better than WD40 for keepimd mud from hanging off of your fenders
Back to top Go down
outlaw_rider89

outlaw_rider89

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 10:31 am

and its cheaper if u go to the dollar store u can get the real cheap cookin stray
Back to top Go down
rabbit209

rabbit209

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:42 am

Soft scrub with bleach for my white plastics with takes out everything.

Tire shine eveything esle..
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:39 pm

I never thought of using bleach on white plastic, it doesn't dry out the plastic or eat it away?
Back to top Go down
rabbit209

rabbit209

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 8:36 am

nope it dont.. It pulls a the riding marks by the legs and everywhere out. it makes the plastic a flat white but it is bright. Then I just spray the whole bike down with tire shine to form a barrier. But there is only a little bleach in the soft scrub, it doesnt eat anything or bleach anything, even the seat...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cleaning plastics Empty
PostSubject: Re: cleaning plastics   cleaning plastics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cleaning plastics
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ATVFreeRiders :: ATV Discussion-
Jump to: